What can be done with it?
Scanning tunneling microscopy and spectroscopy:
- Structural and electronic characterization with atomic resolution.
- High-resolution structural characterization with CO functionalized tips.
- Band structure characterization in reciprocal space by means of quasiparticle interference patterns.
- Spin-polarized STM in constant height/current mode.
- Continuous measurements of magnetic contrast while driving the external field. Hysteresis loops and single atom magnetization curves.
- Spectroscopy of low energy excitations such as inelastic spin-flip and Kondo effect.
- Non-collinear magnetic ordering.
Temperature range: 1.2 to 10 K (Joule-Thompson refrigerator)
Magnetic field: Dry-split coil providing an axial field up to 3 Tesla (maximum rate 0.1 T/min).
LHe hold time: 100 hours
LN2 hold time: 80 hours
Z topographic noise: 1-2 pm peak-peak; <500 fm/ÖHz
In-situ tip exchange.
Sample preparation: 3 ion-guns, 3 e-beam heaters (100-1300ºC). 1 flash heater (>2000 ºC in 25 seconds), low energy electron diffraction and Auger spectroscopy (SPECS ErLEED 150), quadrupole mass spectrometer for residual gas analysis, 7 leak-valves for controlled gas injection, 1 SPECS EBE4 and 3 SPECS EBE1 e-beam evaporators, 2 parking stations for mini-UHV transportable organic evaporators, 1 high temperature effusion cell (CreaTec)